Meanings of Memorial Day : But for veterans and their families, Memorial Day is solemn, it’s reflective, and it’s a time for them to remember fallen brothers and sisters. Here we have some best meanings of Memorial Day explained by the local Veterans.
Also Read : Memorial Day Thank You Sayings
Best Meanings of Memorial Day 2018
- Robert Brandt, of Harrisburg, was in the Army for nearly two decades, ending in 2005. He had various enlistments: to Iraq twice, to Germany, Egypt, South Korea, and others. Now, Brandt heads up the Pennsylvania Veterans Chamber of Commerce. As someone who served in a tanker, as a communications official, and in special ops, Brandt has been around the block. He said he hopes folks can keep the real meaning of Memorial Day in mind come Monday.
Also Read : Memorial Day Quotes
“I was getting ready to post on our Facebook page about, ‘let’s not lose that perspective or the focus of what Memorial Day really means to us.’ Because we’re recognizing all the soldiers all the way from the Revolutionary War to the present that have died and given us those liberties to be able to have cookouts and family get-togethers.
Also Read : Happy Mother’s Day Quotes
- I think a lot of people really lose that focus as to what the true meaning of Memorial Day is. I think everybody while they’re doing their cookouts, what I would like to see across America, is those families to take a minute or two in silence for respect for those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice.
- It was hard at first when I got out. The pain subsides over the years, though. I have lost a few folks that were close to my heart, my own soldiers in combat. Every time this comes up, I remember those guys. There’s a special place in my heart for everyone who lost their lives for this country.”
Also Read ; Mothers Day Date 2018
- Michael Martz, 93, of Harrisburg, served on a B-24 Liberator plane in the United States Air Force during World War II. Based in England, Martz said he went on about 35 successful air missions while he was in his mid-20s. He had nightmares for a decade after he returned, but the midstate-native is still proud of his service. He gladly wears his gunner graduation bracelet around his right wrist, and a silver eagle around his neck. Martz said he won’t forget what he went through those years during World War II.
Also Read : Memorial Day Recipes
“Memorial Day means to me, all the guys that are dead. And I’ve seen so many of them. So much of it. All the men who died horrible deaths, and when I stop to think back, it’s a terrible thing that happened. It should never happen again.
It should never happen again.
Memorial Day in Words of local Veterans
- People should think about the freedom they have. The freedom. Let’s fight no matter what. There’s things going on overseas right now that we should be taking care of. We are the greatest nation on Earth.
Also Read : Happy Memorial Day Poems
- Everywhere I go on the streets, I have people that stop me in my tracks, coming out of stores, that stop me and shake my hand. These guys are doing a job. But you know what? If the younger generation doesn’t take it into their hands, I don’t know what’s going to happen. We’ve got to fight for our freedom.”
Best Meanings of Memorial Day in Words of local Veterans
- Joe Novak, Sr., originally of Steelton, served a three-year tour in Vietnam as a re-con marine. Novak is now a member of the Vietnam Veterans local chapter. He said Memorial Day is the most important holiday for remembering the nation’s fallen comrades.
Also Read : Memorial Day New York 2018
“This is one of the biggest holidays, trying to remember all our comrades that passed away there and at home. So many are passing away. Memorial Day is to remember your heroes and the future heroes.
- A lot of things we do like seminars at schools and we tell people what the value of military is and how it protects our homefront and our security, and we tell them what Memorial Day means as far as being a veteran. It’s one of the highest for our patriotism, one of the largest holidays of the year. It gives us the chance to follow in the footsteps of those who have passed away.
Also Read : Decoration Day 2018
Memorial Day is a very somber day. Yes, it’s time to picnic and most people think that’s what Memorial Day is all about. But it’s time to remember our past and our heroes back to World War I and II and Korea, all the previous conflicts that we’ve had, and it’s time to sit down a day and remember them and to honor them. As far as the past goes, I’ve always thought of Memorial Day as being a very special Meanings of Memorial day.”
- Alisa Norton, of Mechanicsburg, served for eight years in the U.S. Navy, serving in Virginia, California and Japan. Her father served in the Korean and Vietnam wars, her uncle served in Vietnam, her grandfather served in World War II and her late husband was a Marine. Norton has a daughter actively serving in the Army in Japan, a son-in-law who served in Afghanistan, a nephew who will serve in Afghanistan until August and another nephew in the Coast Guard.
Also Read : Memorial Day Parade 2018
“There are people that, to them, its like [Meanings of Memorial Day] is a three-day weekend. I guess growing up in a military family, you don’t take anything for granted, because things can be taken from you.
- Many of us, even though we’ve never seen battle, some of us have seen more than anybody should in their lifetime. But it’s all about being able to walk around and do the things that we do now because of the people that came before me. What would America be if those people weren’t there to fight for us?
Also Read : Happy Memorial Day Georgia 2018
To the new generation coming in: Take a look back in history. You wouldn’t be here and be able to do the things that you do. The next time you have the chance to talk to a veteran, say thank you, because you wouldn’t be listening to your iPod and your iPad if it wasn’t for these people. Think of Memorial Day as more than a three-day weekend.”
Thanks a lot to all.
- Happy Memorial Day
- Happy Mothers Day 2018
- Memorial Day 2018
- National Memorial Day Parade 2018 Washington DC, Live!
- Happy Memorial Day Georgia 2018
- The History of Memorial Day